Saturday, July 4, 2015

Don't say goodbye to your excess Cream cheese frosting!

I like to bake red velvet cupcakes. People seem to like my cupcakes too and always ask for this flavor. Now, I don't mind making it all the time. What I do mind is that I always end up with excess Cream cheese frosting! And I hate it when things go to waste. I'm the type of person who obsesses with the littlest batter left in my mixing bowl or on the spatula.
I decided to sniff around and see if there's anything else I could do with the tub of cream cheese frosting that always seems to get left behind when I bake cupcakes. I tried this recipe from Fleur-Delicious (her blog is so funny) and yum! These cookies are chunky, sweet and pretty quick to make too.
Ingredients:
4 tbs butter, room temperature
3/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 cups cream cheese frosting, room temperature
4 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Whisk your dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cream the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and beat until combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Mix the frosting until combined, make sure you do not overmix the dough. It should be firm but not dry.
4. Add the chocolate (I usually mix this by hand since I have the unfortunate habit of overmixing my dough)
5. Drop mounds of dough onto baking sheet, about 3 inches apart
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to turn brown
7. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies you see in the picture didn't spread too much, I think I may have put too much flour. I also only used 1 cup of my leftover frosting so I suggest you tweak the recipe accordingly if some of your measurements are off (something I obviously should have done). I baked mine for 11 minutes in a convection oven and this yielded 24 cookies. They're very delicious and the chocolate complemented the cookies very well (but then it always does, right?).
Nothing gets wasted! You get your cake/cupcake plus cookies too! What I like about this recipe is that its very easy to make! You can put in fancy ingredients if you wish but mine (with just the chocolate drops) tasted super good. So from now on, don't say goodbye to your excess cream cheese frosting, instead say hello to chunky, chocolatey cream cheese frosting cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment